Tom the Taxer Strikes Again Hikes Water Bills by 25% on Families With Sewage Filled Basements
Wauwatosa – Scott Walker campaign manager Keith Gilkes today issued the following statement on the irony of Tom the Taxer’s 25% water rate increase on Milwaukee families still suffering from the sewage backups in their basements. Tonight, Barrett will hold a public hearing on his proposed tax increase.
“It took Tom the Taxer just three weeks to break his zero tax increase pledge, hiking water bills on hardworking families and businesses by 25%,” said Gilkes. “What’s more unbelievable, is that the victims of Barrett’s sewage mess in their basements are the same people that Barrett’s sticking with a big fat water bill.”
Gilkes concluded, “Today’s hearing is a chance for hard working families to ask the Mayor ‘Why do you have no problem raising my taxes, but you still won’t clean up my basement?’”
Recent reports have shown that Tom Barrett ran in 2004 on a platform to clean up Milwaukee’s sewer problems. Since being elected, he has dumped 8.2 billion gallons of raw sewage into Lake Michigan, and has faced countless questions about why sewers continue to back up in family homes and basements.
Barrett also has a history of raising taxes:
- In 1993 as a congressman, Barrett voted for the largest tax increase in federal history to hike taxes by $241 billion.
- While in congress, Barrett voted AGAINST small businesses 80% of the time.
- In congress, Barrett voted against almost every effort to relieve taxes, including efforts to reduce and repeal the marriage penalty anddeath tax.
- In congress, and as mayor, Barrett has supported extremist environmental policies, which threaten over 100,000 Wisconsin jobs.
- Barrett has raised taxes and fees in EVERY budget he’s presented since being elected mayor, including last year’s 4.4% hike to theproperty tax levy.
- Scott Walker has introduced eight consecutive budgets without a property tax levy increase from the previous year, cut the debt by 10%, reduced the county workforce by 20%, and even had an $8.9 million surplus in his most recent budget.
Text SCOTT to 46262 for updates
Paid for by Friends of Scott Walker, John Hiller, Treasurer